Monday, January 22, 2007

Toot toot

It is Monday and the hill trek has been postponed. Joe has a stomach bug. He is gobbling Cipro and guzzling fluids, and the situation has already stabilized. He should be fit by tomorrow.

This morning I went down to PM Tours to cancel our participation in the trek. Miss Nu, the nice lady who called me a girl, was there. I told her Joe was ill and we would have to postpone. Mimicing Joe's chief symptom, Miss Nu bent over and asked, "He go toot-toot?" Yes, I said, he has done so, in the night, more than once. And she produced a package of powder for replacing electrolytes. Are there ANY occasions where the Thais employ euphemisms? Not to our knowledge.

Have I spelled electrolytes correctly? Should mimicing have a K in it? Still more mysteries.

Thank you to Sydney Lipez, Barbara Wheaton and Bill Ullman for coming up with sources in the U.S. for galangal root. You're all in for it now!

It's a day of R&R. Joe is lying in the sun by the hotel pool, by the coconut palms (and German ladies smoking French cigarettes), and I'll go join him. A nice way to recover from anything.

One other thing: at lunch today, also by the hotel pool, I overheard a German (I think) woman complaining to her Buddhism teacher that she had come to the East to find wisdom, and she hadn't gotten her money's worth. She was pretty convincing, too.

No comments: